Friday, August 3, 2007

The Day We Were Nearly Swallowed by 100 Degrees

Yesterday, we were all restless after being home all week, and the children were relentlessly arguing with one another so I decided that we needed to get out of the house and run out a bit of energy. So we packed up and went to walk the 1.25 mile trail at Shelby Bottoms.

By the time we had walked to the observatory (a little over 1/2 mile) our three full bottles of water were gone and we all felt like we were literally going melt in the heat. I thought "What was I thinking taking three little children out here to die in this sweltering heat?!" Yes, I really did think that...more than once. I gave the last sip in my bottle to the baby and we trudged on our way. It would be faster to just finish the loop, so that's what we did.


By the time we were on the last bend, Elijah told me that he "wasn't going to make it." Now, he is rather dramatic, but this time I believed it. I couldn't believe the heat! So, I decided to play it up and just pretend with the boys that we were lost in the desert and we had to be Survivor Man. That kept their mind on a game and we made it to the car...barely.


We went home and had Popsicles. I put the baby to sleep (he didn't argue) and I sat down to read chapter four of Harry Potter six to the big boys. By the time I was finished, Elijah was fast asleep and Kaleb just gave me this weary look and said "Mom, I'm just gonna read." ...Wow! It worked! I really DID wear them out! And I had a rare hour of complete silence. The End.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a great story! OMG, Elijah's face is soooooooooo red!