Monday, July 30, 2007

Fast Paced Science



I am caught up in this book by Michael Chrichton, so much so that I actually skipped my workout this morning to read more of it. The first Chrichton book I ever read was Jurassic Park. It was an assignment for high school science. I remember wading through all the science mumbo jumbo in complete boredom, and yet the rest of the fast paced story line kept me trudging along, so that when I finally finished the book I felt that I had actually enjoyed it and remarkably had retained some knowledge of DNA that I had not understood before. As an adult I have found that I quite like Mr. Chrichton's books and I thoroughly appreciate the science behind them and the questions he lays out for us to ponder about how much responsibility mankind has in scientific pursuits. Next is a particularly good read about bio-genetics, also Prey which revolves around nanotechnology. State of Fear is about global warming and I can't wait to research this subject more, as there is an extensive appendix in the back of the book as well as a 21 page bibliography. All goes to say, I would heartily recommend any of Mr. Chrichton's books, not only for the thrilling story lines, but also for some good information.

No comments: