Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A Trip To The Frist




I recently went to the Frist Museum with my husband, Seth, to see the Picasso and Matisse series that they had hanging there last month. The whole trip was worth it only because of the Edgar Degas' sculpture and Paul Gauguin's Tahitian Woman. Matisse is hardly worth mentioning since he couldn't even paint (every one of his images were completely flat; I saw better paintings than those in high school). Picasso had some drawings that were fabulous (Seated clown with boy) and some drawings that looked like he were drunk and needed to get out of his bar tab by doing a little sketch for the bartender, and hoping that based purely on his fame he would get away with it (which he obviously did). But when I walked into the room and saw Gauguin's painting, it literally took my breath away. The colors were AMAZING (and probably very toxic). There are no pictures of her that really show how vivid this portrait really is. Then I turned the corner and there was Degas' Dancer and again I felt completely faint. She was beautiful with her muslin skirt and satin ribbon in her hair. She met more than my expectations, even with a crack in her shoulder. I wanted to stay all day to look at her! (Again the photo does NOT give her justice.)So any way, all to say, If you ever get a chance to see these in person, it is worth the price of the ticket!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw Degas' dancer a few years ago at the Met and felt exactly the same way! Luncheon of the Boating Party by Renoir made me cry.