Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Good lesson in Spiderman 3


We took our kids to see Spiderman 3 last night and I was worried that it would be too scary for them on the big screen. Luckily none of them had nightmares, although they confessed to hiding their eyes during some parts (my six year old covered his during all of the kissing parts). I was excited about the message of the movie and that I would be able to talk to my kids about how unforgivness and resentment can turn you into a person that you don't want to be. Several people had told me before the movie that there were too many sub-plots and just too much going on, but I disagree. The many plots really were wrapped up into one central theme; that unforgivness can be a chain, and if you let it rule it ruins other people's lives around you. Peter Parker was the object of unforgivness by his dear friend Harry, and while Peter saw the injustice of this, he was was harboring the same feelings about the man who killed his uncle. Because of this, Peter causes yet another person (Brock) to resent him and he also hurts the one person he cares the most for (Mary Jane). I also thought that it was neat how they show that the black venom needed a willing host. This is a good example to show my children that they can choose to forgive and give mercy to others, thus ending the chain.
Last night after the movie, I went home and was reading my daily inspirational reading and the page I was on said this:

"Resentment is the cocaine of the emotions. It causes our blood to pump and our energy level to rise. But, also like cocaine, it demands increasingly large and more frequent dosages. There is a dangerous point at which anger ceases to be an emotion and becomes a driving force. A person bent on revenge moves unknowingly further and further away from being able to forgive, for to be without the anger is to be without a source of energy.
Hatred is the rabid dog that turns on it's owner.
Revenge is the raging fire that consumes the arsonist.
Bitterness is the trap that snares the hunter.
And mercy is the choice that can set them all free."
-The Applause of Heaven by Max Lucado

That was a timely message!

1 comment:

Joan Del said...

That was a great take on the movie! I especially like how you were able to see the connection - the overall theme. I wonder if the film's creators see it as clearly as you do. You express yourself VERY well and I'm proud to be your friend. --jd